Mexico’s VFW Auto Show Returns June 12 | arts and entertainment

0

MEXICO – The annual Edick-Hamlink VFW Post 369 Mexico benefit car show, canceled for the past two years, will return this June 12 to the VFW field on Route 3 North, and Jeff Beardsley, one of the organizers of the event, said he expects to see 300 cars and 4,000 people at this year’s show. And while many cars are considered classics, age is not a requirement or consideration here. All vehicles are welcome. In fact, there may even be a snow plow on display.

“We even have a request from Mexico City Village,” Beardsley said. “Three years ago they bought their snowplow truck, and they’re so proud of how good it looks, it makes the guys very proud.”

He said there will also be “trucks, there’s old school, there’s rat-rods, there’s 20 different categories of cars.

“If we have good weather,” Beardsley continued, “I expect to see close to 300 cars. We’re probably getting close to 20 percent from the Oswego County area. The rest, 80 percent is from the surrounding area. We get cars from Rochester Some people are from Ithaca, Syracuse, Watertown, Carthage, Lowville, Rome, Utica What I found out is that the guys from the car and car people are a tight knit bunch, and they love coming to this area. They love the facilities here, which are absolutely beautiful. It was voted one of the top 10 VFW posts across the US “People say it’s their favorite car show they go to. There are people who say they can’t wait to go there more than to go to the Nationals in Syracuse. We have our kick sound system. -a** who plays all day We have people who have been doing this for years and are having a great experience, d e the entrance to the gate, to the registrations, to the food you get. There is barbecue chicken and all the rest of the food you would normally sell. Hot dogs and burgers.

Pre-registration for exhibitors is $10 or $15 the day of the show. “Most cars will wait until that day,” Beardsley said. “They don’t mind paying $5 more. They don’t want to be saved and be in a downpour.

As for admission for the general public, “we ask for a $3 donation, but we don’t charge for children,” Beardsley said.

This is a show judged by amateurs. “But we have real car guys playing as judges,” Beardsley said. “Every car is judged.”

There are no monetary prizes, but “there are first, second and third place trophies that are awarded for each of the classes,” Beardsley said. “So there are 60 trophies given out and then the Best of Show trophy.”

Vehicle classes include: 1900-1949 original; 1900-1949 amended; just for Mustangs; just for Camaros; originals from 1950-1959; 1950-1959 amended; originals from 1960-1964; 1960-1964 amended; trucks; modified trucks; rat rods; and Corvette.

“So there are a lot of different classes,” Beardsley said. “Last year, one of the attendees showed off his all-new Dodge Demon.”

Beardsley said the event was largely community-sponsored. “The firefighters come in with their ladder truck and hang this huge American flag, and we have a young lady singing the national anthem as it should be,” he said. “I’ve become very close to this young lady (his wife), and it gives me goosebumps every time. In this facility, with everything that’s going on, the patriotism that comes through at this event is just unbelievable.

“We’re volunteering our time to put this thing together,” Beardsley said. “It’s all about and for veterans. At the end of the day, all the money that comes out of this goes directly to the Auxiliary of all Veterans Services who are here at this station as well as in Lewis County.

This is a one-day event, Sunday, June 12, from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., with exhibitor registration beginning at 9 a.m. The Post is located at 5931 Scenic Ave., Mexico.

And finally, Beardsley noted, “We’re still looking for volunteers that day.”

For more information or to volunteer, call Jeff Beardsley at 315-963-3135 or Fran at 315-963-3817.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.