ESCANABA – Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer and there will be no shortage of things to do in the area. Here are some of the celebrations and events that are planned for the coming months.
– The Krusin’ Klassic Car Club’s Fun Run Car Show and Swap Meet will take place June 3-4. Located at the UP State Fairgrounds, a collection of vehicles will be on display for visitors. Prizes will be awarded for the best display vehicles, as well as large and small raffles throughout the weekend. The Stone Blue Band with Don Cole will perform on Friday evening after the car parade down Ludington Street. Food vendors will be available Friday evening and all day Saturday.
– The Gladstone Summer Concert Series will take place every Thursday evening starting June 16 from 7-9 p.m. at Gladstone Van Cleve Park. Participants are encouraged to bring blankets, chairs and a cooler to the park at no cost to attend. Backroads 906, a variety group, will open the summer series on June 16. The final date of the concert is set for August 18.
– Escanaba Music Mondays will kick off their season on Monday, June 20 from 7-9 p.m. Located at Karas Bandshell in Ludington Park, the Jam Band, a classic country and rock band, will perform on opening night. The public is invited to come with garden chairs and blankets to enjoy the music. The final date of the concert is set for August 15.
– The annual Epson LPGA Tour will be on the green at the Sweetgrass Gold Club at the Island Resort and Casino from June 24-26. as well as a scholarship of $212,500.
– Bark River will host its sesquicentennial celebrations July 2-4. The Bark River Senior Center History Room will be open for all three days, where a 150th anniversary time capsule and quilt will be on display for visitor enjoyment. On July 2, a Bark River-Harris all-class reunion will be held, which includes a golf outing, an open house at Bark River-Harris School, and a meeting at Bark River Park. July 3 marks the 150th anniversary, with activities such as a fiddling show, 1871 family games and musical entertainment at Bark River Park. On July 4, Bark River will host its annual 4th of July celebration, which includes a parade and activities in the park.
– The Town of Escanaba’s 4th of July Fireworks will take place at Ludington Park on Saturday, July 2, at dusk. A rain date is set for Saturday July 9th.
– The 4th of July celebration at Gladstone will take place on Monday, July 4 from 8am. The Kiwanis Firecracker’s annual five-mile run will begin at 8 a.m., followed by the parade on Delta Ave. and 13th St. at 11 a.m. Children’s Activities,
log rollers and food vendors will remain in Van Cleve Park until the fireworks at dusk. Live music is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. A rain date is set for Tuesday, July 5.
– Gladstone will host the Girls’ Minor Little League State Championship Tournament July 22-29. 16 all-star teams will compete in the week-long tournament at John and Melissa Besse Sports Park and Gladstone Area High School softball fields. The public is invited to come and watch the nine- and ten-year-old competitions. Raffles and 50/50 concessions will be available at the event, along with a home derby.
– Rock the Dock will take place on Saturday, August 6 at the municipal dock in Escanaba.
– Armageddon on Wheels will return on August 6 at the UP State Fairgrounds. Racers compete on a figure-eight race track for community members to watch and enjoy. This year’s races include a figure-eight bus race, gauntlet race, challenging truck duels and more.
– The Waterfront Art Festival celebrates its 50th anniversary on Saturday, August 6 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Ludington Park by the Karas Bandshell. Artists from across the Upper Peninsula will exhibit their works of art, ranging from jewelry to pottery, paintings and photographs, for people to purchase. The festival will also host the Young Artists Market, where children can also sell their handmade works of art. Attendance is free to the public, and food vendors, children’s activities, an art raffle tent and live entertainment will also be present.
– The 46th annual Bark River Off-Road Races are scheduled to begin Aug. 12 and run through Aug. 14 at Bark River International Raceway. The event will host a wide variety of races over the three-day period, with the full schedule yet to be released.
– The UP State Fair returns August 15 at 5 p.m. and will continue through August 21 at 5 p.m. In addition to livestock displays, food vendors and carnival rides, grandstand entertainment includes: Monday, August 15, UPIR Racing at 6 p.m.; Tuesday August 16, “Boom” at 20 hours; Wednesday August 17, “Abracadabra” The Ultimate ABBA at 8 p.m.; Thursday August 18 “Puddle of Mud” at 20 hours; Friday August 19 “Roots and Boots” at 20 hours; Saturday, August 20 Russell Dickerson at 8 p.m.; and Sunday at dusk a fireworks display will take place.
– Rock the Dock and the Labor Day celebration will begin September 3 and run through September 5.
For more information or a complete list of everything going on in Delta County, visit the Delta County Chamber of Commerce website at www.deltami.org.